The Proof is in the Music

3.03.2010
I often think of music and books as similar mediums of communication—a story that leaves the visuals up to the audience to create. Just like a movie can ruin a great book, a music video can ruin a song. However, sometimes a video not only matches a song, it enhances it.

Gil Scott-Heron's music is gut wrenching on its own. To the point you might find yourself closing your eyes so you can focus solely on what your ears are experiencing. Well, now Mr. Scott-Heron has given us a new album, entitled I'm New Here. The funny thing is, in some ways he is new here. He surely isn't new to music, but he is new to the "now." I mean, music videos were created after his most famous singles were released. Whether he's truly "new here" or not, the video for his new single Me And The Devil is one of the most powerful combinations of auditory and visionary I've seen in a long, long time.

Kurt Vonnegut once wrote that "the only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." Gil and the Devil might be "walking side by side," but the walk seems to be helping to prove Vonnegut's point.

Oh, and by the way, the album is phenomenal.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Another amazing post gull. I don't know how you do it...and just in time. I needed a new song to play on repeat!

myshkin said...

word!

Post a Comment