Nothing catches your eye like a headless statue. Especially when it's intentionally headless. Yinka Shonibare MBE, a Nigerian British artist, uses headless figures to juxtapose the notion of traditional and multicultural, all while teaching us an interesting history lesson. Did you know that "traditional African fabric" was initially referred to as "Dutch wax cotton" because it was originally made in Holland? When the British couldn't find a market for the fabric in Europe, they took the fabric to Africa and sold it to Africans. There's actually nothing African about the fabric except that Africans have adopted it and re-appropriated it to the point it's become a symbol of African-ness. Shonibare's work is a fascinating representation of how identity is contingent upon the materials at hand, and that culture—even when claiming "tradition"—is always subject to evolution. Especially when colonialism is involved.
To those of you who know me, this has been a long time coming. To those of you who don't know me, hopefully we'll change that. Here's the premise of You Should Know 2: I am an insanely curious person. I want to know about many things. I am intrigued quickly, and bored even faster. I don't like wasting time, but when I find something interesting I'm gonna tell everyone I know. So, this blog is my filter of everything that I come across that I find worthy of distributing. In other words, a collection and dissemination of what I think You Should Know 2.
0 comments:
Post a Comment