Maybe If MTV Played Music

3.07.2010
I don't own a TV, mostly because 99% of what I want to watch I can get on my laptop. However, I am aware that TV is still a huge part of most American's lives—especially kids. What bums me out is how different TV is today than when I was a kid. When I was a kid (yeah, I said it), the only "reality" TV was Real World, which was just a bunch of 20-somethings fighting and drinking. Twenty years later, that show has somehow resisted evolution and maintained airtime on MTV. But what hasn't maintained airtime, ironically, are shows that actually play music videos.

When I was a kid I looked forward to Fridays so I could watch the Top 20 Video Countdown. (They even played the full music video). And, of course I also watched Yo MTV Raps, which is truly responsible for hip hop evolving from a New York phenomenon to an international obsession. Watching these shows is how I realized the power music can yield while expanding my awareness of genres and artists. Music videos also helped ingrain in me the value of experiencing art.

Sometimes it takes a video to connect to a song. Today's post is in honor of artists who make great songs whose video I never saw because they never got airtime on the Music Television channel. Go figure.

Basement Jaxx feat. Lisa Kekaula
Good Luck




Chemical Brothers feat. Q-Tip
Galvanize




k-os
4 3 2 1




Zion-I feat. K. Flay
Coastin




Blu feat. Billie Holiday
Amnesia

0 comments:

Post a Comment